American Association of University Women award Fellowship to Dr. Jennifer Smith

ISG Postdoctoral Fellow Jennifer Smith has been named an AAUW Postdoctoral Fellow for 2011-2012. All of us at the Institute congratulate her, and know that her research will advance her field!

[excerpt from press, full press here]

AAUW American Fellowships are awarded to highly qualified women scholars completing doctoral dissertations, conducting postdoctoral research, or finishing research for publication.  Since 1881, AAUW has been one of the nation’s leading voices promoting education and equity for women and girls.

Upon learning that she was among the select group of 2011-2012 fellows, Jennifer wrote, “Two of my mentors from my Ph.D. at Michigan State University, Dr. Kay E. Holekamp and Laura Smale, were themselves AAUW fellows. These two women were absolutely thrilled to hear that I will be carrying on this tradition. It is a great honor to stand among these accomplished women and this award will make all of the difference to me as I strive to meet my professional goals. I have some big shoes to fill, but as first generation Ph.D., I do love a good challenge!”

Jennifer E. Smith integrates perspectives from evolutionary biology, ecology, animal behavior, and physiology in an effort to understand how natural selection and current ecological conditions shape decision-making in animals. She is currently using quantitative genetics and social network theory to elucidate how maternal effects shape offspring behavior, condition, survival, and lifetime reproductive success across 25 generations of free-ranging yellow-bellied marmots. Importantly, Dr. Smith has also demonstrated a long-standing commitment to excellence in undergraduate education and to breaking through barriers by promoting women in science and mentoring research by undergraduates from traditionally underrepresented groups.

© The UCLA Institute for Society and Genetics. All Rights Reserved.