As the Undergraduate Advisor for the Institute for Society and Genetics, Frenz Cabison oversees the Human Biology and Society majors (BA and BS) and Society and Genetics minor. He can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to assist everyone, please allow 24 to 48 BUSINESS hours for a response, and always include your 9-digit UID within your email correspondence.
There are two types of advising that Frenz offers: drop-in advising and 20-minute advising sessions. Please note that for Summer 2023, drop-ins and scheduled appointments will all be online.
Please note that these advising sessions are only available to current undergraduate students. For prospective applicants, please email Frenz via email@example.com.
Drop-In Advising (no appointment sign-up needed)
Drop-ins are meant to be for quick questions that can be addressed within 5-10 minutes. Please do not be alarmed if you experience some wait time during drop-ins. Students will be assisted in the order that they join the drop-in counseling session.
Fall 2023 Drop-In Advising (beginning Sept 26th up until December 7th)
- Day and Time: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 AM – 11 AM (unless stated otherwise)
- Link: https://tinyurl.com/ISGFall23DropIn
- Password: Fall! (don’t forget the exclamation point)
**Please note that there will be no drop-ins on Nov 23rd due to Thanksgiving break.
20-minute advising sessions
Current undergraduate students can sign up for 20-minute appointments via calendly.com/isg_frenz. Spots will be added to the Calendly on Monday of the prior week (e.g., spots for the week of July 24th will be added on July 17th). During the regular academic year, it is highly recommended that you sign up for an appointment early in the quarter. Appointments are limited and can fill up quickly, especially during peak weeks (e.g., enrollment season).
Students can choose to do their appointment either in-person or on Zoom unless the appointment falls on a Wednesday or a Friday. Wednesday and Friday appointments are held on Zoom only.
Learning more about the pre-major and major
- Pre-Major page (for pre-major and prospective students)
- Current Students page (for students admitted into the major)
- Internship Course page (for information about Soc Gen 195CE– enrollment, resources, etc).
- Research Opportunities page (for information about Soc Gen 196/199– enrollment, resources, etc).
- Sample plans for (Pre-) HBS BS Students
- Sample plans for (Pre-) HBS BA students
- List of Approved Electives (updated: Winter 2023)
- Soc Gen 195CE Information Sheet 2022-2023
- Blank Template for Program Planning (for personal use)
- Spring 2023 Soc Gen Course Offering Info Sheet
Spring 2023 Applications
- Application Page
- Human Biology and Society, B.A. Application [Google Form]
- Human Biology and Society, B.A. Application [Fillable Form- for drafts]
- Human Biology and Society, B.S. Application [Google Form]
- Human Biology and Society, B.S. Application [Fillable Form- for drafts]
- Spring 2023 – HBS Application Frequently Asked Questions
- Informational Video: HBS Application 101 (need UCLA Logon ID to access)