The Human Biology and Society Major
The Human Biology and Society, B.A. and Human Biology and Society, B.S. majors provide an interdisciplinary approach to learning about current issues at the intersections of human biology, genomics and society.
Our major degrees attempt to bridge the gap between life sciences and humanities/social sciences, generating an interdisciplinary perspective needed to address many important and current questions of ethics; history; public policy about food and nutrition; genetics research and commercialization; genetic origins and relatedness of human populations; medical privacy right; etc. For example, what issues are raised by genetic modification of our food crops and animals? Who owns your body? How expansive is your right to medical and genetic privacy? What are the individual and social consequences of personalized genetic medicine? What, if anything, can human biology and genetics tell us about ‘race’ and ‘identity?’ How does commercialization impact academic research? If questions like these interest you, then the Human Biology and Society major may be an important opportunity for you.
The Human Biology and Society, B.A. is good preparation for careers in health, law, business, academia, and public policy. The Human Biology and Society, B.S. is good preparation for careers in medicine, public health, and other health services fields.
Learning more about the pre-major and major
- Pre-Major page (for pre-major and prospective students)
- Current Students page (for students admitted into the major)
- Internship Course page (for information about Soc Gen 195CE– enrollment, resources, etc).
- Research Opportunities page (for information about Soc Gen 196/199– enrollment, resources, etc).
- Sample plans for (Pre-) HBS BS Students
- Sample plans for (Pre-) HBS BA students
- List of Approved Electives (updated: Winter 2023)
- Soc Gen 195CE Information Sheet 2022-2023
- Blank Template for Program Planning (for personal use)
- Spring 2023 Soc Gen Course Offering Info Sheet
Spring 2023 Applications
- Application Page
- Human Biology and Society, B.A. Application [Google Form]
- Human Biology and Society, B.A. Application [Fillable Form- for drafts]
- Human Biology and Society, B.S. Application [Google Form]
- Human Biology and Society, B.S. Application [Fillable Form- for drafts]
- Spring 2023 – HBS Application Frequently Asked Questions
- Informational Video: HBS Application 101 (need UCLA Logon ID to access)
- Email: email@example.com
- Advising appointments (only offered to current undergraduate students): calendly.com/isg_frenz